Built 1902-1903, 32 Rooty Hill Road South, Rooty Hill South.
single storey brick building with classical detailing on the frontage
including pilasters, parapet, cornice and gabled section over the front
The Rooty Hill Progress Association was formed in 1890 and started
fundraising for the construction of a School of Arts. With the aid of a
government grant, sufficient money had been raised by 1902 and
construction begun. The site was donated by James Angus and the
building designed by Mr W. Sykes. The foundation stone was laid in 1902
by Miss Angus
of Minchinbury. John Angus was noted for being the first person to
produce champagne in Australia, in 1895. The bricks used in the
building's construction were made behind the site. The foundation
stone was laid by Miss Angus, 1st November, 1902. The building was
officially opened in 1903.
The building was where a group of community leaders met to call for the
establishment of the shire, which would be named Blacktown Shire. The
building was also used for the first meeting of
Blacktown Council on 13th June, 1906 (the Shire of Blacktown was
created that year). Appointed to the shire council at the meeting were
John Angus, Richard Sherlock, Matthew Pearce, William Edmond and John
Walters. Spurlock was appointed as chairman of the shire council. They
voted to hold the next meeting at the Blacktown Public School,
Flushcombe Road, where the meetings were held until the council built
its own building.
"Our City, Our Heritage", 1997 Blacktown City Council Calendar.
NSW Heritage Office Website, http://www.heritage.nsw.gov.au
History Stands Solid, Blacktown City Sun, 6th June, 2006